Friday, February 5, 2010

far away and close


I was in Burlington, Vt earlier this week and spent a little time walking around a place called Fort Ethan Allen. It used to be military housing but now is a mix of condos, University of Vermont graduate student housing plus commercial buildings and the like. We lived there a dozen years ago when my husband was in graduate school and my oldest kids were young.

I had a flood of memories as I walked around. I remembered moments of Ethan and Olivia's younger selves and I recalled my younger self. I thought about friends who were dear to me then but whom I've since lost touch with. I got teary. I remembered the sad times I had had, the paintings I made, the surprise 29th birthday party my husband threw for me.

The images above are of an old church or perhaps mason's meeting hall on the property. When I looked in a hole in the front door I saw this pretty light and this solitary chair. It seemed fitting. Outside and inside. Far away and close.

3 comments:

Pretty Neat Designs said...

that photos with the lonely chair is very interesting. I like how the paint on the door creates a frame. Very cool.

TONE LILENG said...

In Norway we have a saying "To have been out on a winter night" meaning you have experienced some rough times. This building looks just as if it has that experience. Lovely boards on the walls.

Maria | Vintage Simple said...

What a beautiful post, Liane..! Perfectly captured in both words and pictures...

-maria