Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Wooden Churches of Vologda Province








Deb from Kickcan and Konkers sent me the link to this site.  Deborah, I love it!  Thank you so much.  The photographs were taken by Richard Davies in the Russian North.  Here's an excerpt from the introduction on the website:

The integrity between the landscape and the architecture of this wooden world is as striking to us today as it was to Bilibin. The basic simplicity of the log cabin construction and the extravagant fantasies superimposed on it are just as startling. Although the churches that remain are in varying states of decay and despite their neglect and the wrecking of their interiors, these extraordinary structures have a spiritual presence which commands respect even in the absence of their gilded icons.

I have to say that part of my fascination with this part of the world is spiritual.  I am going to post some of my favorite images of the buildings from the outside later but these interior shots are...well, no words.  At least for me.

*please click the images to view large.

8 comments:

A Perfect Gray said...

I am absolutely stunned with the beauty of those. I agree. It's a raw spiritual attraction. They are the most moving images I've seen in quite some time. Thank you so much...

lejardengirl said...

i so love your view of the world..your blog is a gift each day..

Kickcan & Conkers said...

Glad you like the link :)

Britt S. said...

Love this photo series. Thank you for sharing. So inspiring.

Anonymous said...

i'm intrigued by the curtain/drapery over the painting.

REBEKAH BROOKS said...

what a quiet beauty

mayaluna said...

These are breathtaking. I was just telling a good friend that two of my favorite and most inspiring blogs for the curious and fresh are Liane and Deborah's. So perfect to see you together. I'm looking forward to your post on the exteriors.

Louise said...

amazing, so serene and beautiful