Friday, February 26, 2010

chinese paper lanterns

BooHoo to the millioneth degree. I went to an auction last night and found the best thing- a box of vintage Chinese paper lanterns in perfect condition. Way better than any I can find images of on the net. It was fate and kismet. I'd been thinking about paper lanterns and BOOM! there they were. It was one of those moments where you rub your hands together like evil characters in movies do when they are hatching evil plans and your eyeballs dart back and forth scanning the room to see if anyone sees what you see. And then I spent 3 hours waiting for my item to come up for auction. I told the lady next to me I was planning to bid on these so she wouldn't get any kooky ideas in her head to bid on them as well. And then I sat back and waited. Feeling confident.
But I think you can guess the punch line to this story. A couple of stupid-heads in the third row bid against me. And they won.
Stupid-heads.

I console myself with the fact that....well, I sit here and stare at the screen and I can't really think of anything right now. I'll have to get back to you. In the meantime, here's a link with directions to make flying paper lanterns. They fly.

3 comments:

Orion Designs said...

very disappointing indeed

as a side note, I love the term stupid-head and unfortunately, I have ample opportunity to use it ;)

Mandy Behrens said...

Serious DRAT! Our beautiful daughters were born in China and we love to celebrate Chinese culture, especially this time of year. The girls don't necessary like the Chinese NY tradition of cleaning the house to rid it of any bad spirits. But hang in there! Anyhoo, we have a couple metal Chinese lanterns we bought years ago that get plenty of use. Such treasures! And I too love your term "stupid-head". Cheers, Mandy

A Perfect Gray said...

I feel your pain. Can't tell you how many hours I've waited for something to come up only to be out-bid. Bummer. Just remember something for you is always just ahead at the next one. . .