Saturday, February 20, 2010

formspring.me

Do you wish you had gone to a different art school? Or do you feel that might have stifled you?

Here's the saga of my youth Part I:
Well, that is water long under the bridge but I would be lying if I said don't think about this.
I had wanted to be in the city for college and got into Boston University but my family couldn't afford the tuition. I ended up at UNH. (And if I were being totally honest I'd have to admit that the bottom line was I didn't really know what in hell I wanted).
At UNH it didn't take me long to realize I wanted to be an art major but I'm very sure I would have been happier in a more non-traditional art school. Back then I was a painter and starry-eyed about modern art. Not so much the contemporary art of the day 80's.
The bottom line for me is that it would have been better for me to have gotten out of NH for a broader perspective. Despite the fact that I did really well in all my art classes I had a big lack of confidence (which I kept pretty private). I wonder if I was in a really creatively stimulating, varied, open art environment and out of my home state miopic comfort zone if I'd have been encouraged to snap out of the confidence problem. It's all conjecture, of course.

Ask me anything

No comments: