Tuesday, May 4, 2010

don't forget



It's Mother's Day this weekend.  I'm hoping my compost bins are ready by then.  That's what I asked for.  I'll keep you posted. 

Here's a picture of my mother when she was a baby with my Grandmother. 

And then a picture I just found of my Mother in the 1970s. 

I was thinking of tracking down a specific mother/70s picture which is a favorite but I'm too lazy.  Maybe tomorrow.  I do want to tell you about it.  It's my Mom looking pretty foxy with a shag hairdo and silver earrings and she's with her Uncle Tom.  He was a ladies man.  Although very devoted to his wife of over 50 years.  I'm just saying he had some sex appeal.  Can I say that about a relative??  In the picture he has slicked back hair and some sort of man-jewelry on if I remember correctly...I think a silver bracelet.  They both look real good in their decade specific outfits. 

But the thing that is jarring for me is how young they look.  My Mom was in her 20s.  And Uncle Tom was my age.  It's something.  How one minute it's 1972 and then the next it's 2010.   I recall when I was a teenager thinking about what age I would be in the year 2000.  How that was far away but still close.  How I knew it would come.  Just like I know turning 50 will come.  And then having my kids have kids will come.  And being 75 will come, too.  If I'm lucky. 

xo
me

2 comments:

A Perfect Gray said...

lovely post. and your mom was so awesome looking....

Unknown said...

I love this post.