Tuesday, August 30, 2011













I have this old white plastic laundry basket that I keep trying to get rid of but it always finds it's way back to me.  Sometime last week I had a dream that I could fly in that laundry basket.

There were other parts to the dream featuring people and places from my past.  These people and places come with complicated emotions but they make up who I am and even if I think of them infrequently in my waking hours my sleeping mind knows better.

In the dream I had to plan a party in a restaurant I worked at as a teenager.  People from that time period were in the dream as well as people who have come in and out of my life since.

There are significant details of the dream I forget now but I remember that I wanted something from these people and they wanted something from me.  What we wanted was hard to define.  A place in each other's memories, a feeling of understanding, a validation of meaning.

In between the party planning I was alone on this stretch of road in the town I grew up in.  It was dark and quiet.  It's a road without much redemption; sand pits and a few houses with peeling paint.  But I was in this white plastic laundry basket.

I know.  There is an element of comedy and absurdity here.

But see, I could make this basket leave the ground.  I could hover over the road about 20 feet or so and then I could fly.  It took effort.  I recall that I could only do this for so long and then I needed to touch down, gather my energy, and try again.  I was a little nervous that I might crash or hit the power lines.  But I didn't.

I was alone on this road in the dark and the white plastic kind of shone like a beacon and I could fly.  It was hard and it was silly and I was riding a white plastic laundry basket for God's sake.  But it was worth it because I could fly.


5 comments:

onesilentwinter said...

lovely liane,

perhaps from what i understood, you take all you have baggage/laundry and get rid if it, it can't way you down anymore then you take the lining of all that you have learned and experienced and fly with it, use it as a vessel to move forward rise high.

when i was reading it, could not help wanting to see the universe evolve enough so would could ride laundry baskets, perhaps with bells.

No Carnations said...

I always find it so hard to describe dreams. It seems words don't exist for that night realm.

Somehow you have done it perfectly.

I think you have to keep the plastic laundry basket.

Your chairy(cherry) wall is my favorite thing.

Lisa said...

beautiful writing!

christina said...

happy to have stumbled upon your blog. clever chair storage.

Sharon @ Empanada on Etsy said...

I love when you tell your dreams... and you express them so well...

I have been having a couple of hard days and your writing took me on a break from my thoughts...

thank you