Wednesday, November 9, 2011

greyish black tinged blue


good morning my little birdies.  
i only call you this because as i type my front door is open and i can hear birds talking in the trees.  the temperature outdoors yesterday was in the 60s here.  it looks like it will be the same today.  looking out, i see lola roaming the yard, the sun has a hazy early morning glow, the air feels so good and fresh.


again yesterday, i spent time outside dyeing fabric.  this was after i procrastinated a bit and rearranged the furniture.  once i got that out of my system, i completed all my existing orders and then worked on that fabric above.  i'm pretty infatuated with it.  i think i'm making some baskets with this and maybe a bag.

i'm still reading this book my friend jason lent me.  
here's a snippet relating to color quality:

murky.
things wabi-sabi have a vague, blurry, or attenuated quality-as things do as they approach nothingness (or come out of it).  once-hard edges take on a soft pale glow.  once-substantial materiality appears almost sponge-like.  once-bright saturated colors fade into muddy earth tones or the smoky hues of dawn or dusk.  wabi-sabi comes in an infinite spectrum of greys : grey-blue brown, silver-red greyish black, indigo yellowish-green...and browns: blackish deep brown-tinged blue, muted greens...and blacks: red black, blue black, brown black, green black...
...
aren't those color names great.  and funny.  i smile each time i read them.  it makes me think of the previous me who studied painting.   and now the current me who plays with fabric dyes.  we are funny human creative creatures, aren't we?

2 comments:

Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig said...

reads like poetry...gonna see if my local library has a copy for me to borrow....thank you for sharing...

I enjoy reading about your creative life...thank you for sharing that, too...

Anonymous said...

pewter ! beautiful piece of fabric there.