Wednesday, November 18, 2009

handmade notebooks






I love handmade notebooks. This is part of a funny little one from I can't remember quite when, I can't find a date anywhere. What I like is that you really can make one in about 10 minutes without any special materials. I think using a variety of papers is interesting. You can poke holes with any old thing (a kitchen fork tine?) and string it with anything again.
The other thing looking at this makes me think is that there are so many hints of ideas that never get followed up on. Maybe someday. I notice I liked "little"in this. I made tiny little weavings and glued them in, I cut out tiny boats (a recurring theme here) and glued those, too.
If you make your own notebooks I'd love to see them.



1 comment:

Nicola said...

That has so much personality, it's beautiful. I love notebooks fullstop but I do find that ones you buy take ages to feel like they belong to you. It takes scribbling, being stuffed into bags, being cried on, having things spilt on them before they feel like yours. At least, that's what it's like for me. But if you've made the notebook., it's already yours.

That said, I have to leave crafy stuff to my sister. I've written bits of prose and captions for photobooks she's done before but comb binding, thermal binding, traditional binding, that'll all best left to her. No-one sensible would let me loose with a needle.